James Grove founded his business in 1857 with his wife, Ann Elizabeth and began by selling buttons from his hotel room as he travelled across Europe.
At that time, buttons were either made from Horn or Hoof. Many were compression moulded with crests; either fancy or military insignia. Interestingly, company archives suggest that both Confederate and Unionist sides chose to have their buttons made by James Grove during the American Civil War.
The Company was incorporated as a Private Limited Company on 11 January 1917 and records show that around 600 men and women were employed at that time, making and polishing buttons by hand.